So, I didn’t get to 35 things. That’s ok. I feel as though I’ve learnt so much over this past year, that although I really wanted to make it, I don’t feel as though I’ve failed simply because of a number.
- Completing Cycletta.
- Completing the Yorkshire 3 Peaks and raising lots of lovely money for Bliss.
- Learning to kayak.
- Joining Twitter and all the wonderful things that have happened and people I have met as a direct consequence of that.
- Strengthening older friendships, especially with Hillary, who taught me drumming and kayaking.
- The sheer bloody pain at the end of the Yorkshire 3 Peaks, which made me cry.
- Falling out of a kayak twice.
Having said that these are lowlights, they are also some of the most memorable parts of the year, so I don’t regret them for a second. It turns out that I have a little masochistic streak that actually likes finding things a bit painful – it makes the success that much sweeter.
Other things I have learnt this year:
- I am more capable than I think I am.
- I don’t have to wait for someone else to join me when I try something new. I am brave enough to do things on my own.
- I like physical challenges more than my laziness and ‘curves’ would suggest.
- The scatter-gun nature of this challenge has been partly successful. It has made me better at saying ‘yes’ to things.
- However, it has also made me realise that I now want a bit more structure to my projects.
- As much as I enjoy being sociable, I also enjoy being alone sometimes to have time and space to think and read. This means balancing out my social activities so I don’t feel overwhelmed by them.
As we all know, the act of recording things changes them, but I’ve also realised that it is a really good way of getting a truer picture of what I manage to achieve. I sometimes have moments where I think that all I do is go to work or do the laundry. At those moments, I look at the list of things I’ve done over the year and it reminds me that I’ve managed some brilliant things, on top of being a good mum, employee, friend etc. So I will continue to record what I do, irrespective of this challenge.
So, what’s next?
PS: This means it’s my birthday today…