I’m in the process of choosing a new bike, and I need your help!
Although I would really love a stable of bikes, so that I’d have one for every eventuality (wouldn’t we all?) I need to start with one.
Reasons for choosing a traditional bike:
1) I don’t get to ride very often and this is unlikely to change in the future, so I need to think about the kind of riding I do get to do
2) Most of the cycling I’ll get to do will be pottering around on local rides or riding with the kids as they learn. This is likely to be in local parks, trails and quiet areas.
3) Aesthetically, this kind of bike is really pleasing
4) I’ve always wanted one!
5) I still plan to get a more rugged hybrid kind of bike too, for things like trail riding with my husband, when I get the chance.
6) I would have a new bike by the time I go to Cycletta.
7) Cycletta is only one day. This bike would be for life.
Reasons not to get a bike like this:
1) They’re pretty, but how practical are they?
2) I wouldn’t really be able to ride it off-road very much.
3) How will I look at Cycletta on this kind of bike, surrounded by road bikes?
Hmm. Anyway, if we assume that I am going to get a traditional bike, I’m still stuck with indecision and this is where you come in.
Help me choose between these:
Pashley Princess Sovereign: This is the classic Pashley bike.
Pashley Brittania: This is based on a Princess, but it’s red!
Pashley Poppy: This is based on a Princess frame but with a straighter handlebar, no basket. It comes in this pale blue or a pastel pink.
Genesis CDF Cyclocross bike.
Finally, this is a bit of an odd inclusion, but I do love this bike. It’s a cyclocross bike so would be useful for any occasion but I’m not sure if I will like sitting forward in a road bike style. Mostly, I like it because it’s cornflower blue!
So what I want you to do is help me choose. A little disclaimer here, because I might not end up buying the one you pick, but it will help clarify my thoughts. Then I’m going to Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative (where the photos are from) to have a test ride and do some shopping!